On August 26, 2020, the National e-Governance Division (NeGD), Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has signed an memorandum of understanding (MOU) with CSC (Common Service Center) e Governance Services India Limited to facilitate delivery of UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance) app services to citizens through the network of 3.75 lakh CSCs.
• This will benefit those citizens who either do not have access to smartphones or are not comfortable accessing app based e services on their own.
• Notably, all the UMANG services at CSCs are available at zero cost and will be provided by CSC operators Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs).
About Common Services Centres or CSCs: These are set up under the CSC Scheme of MeitY under the Companies Act, 1956, as a part of Digital India programme and key access points for delivery of various electronic services to villages in India.
About UMANG: Developed by NeGD, it was dedicated to the Nation on November 23, 2017. This app was conferred with four illustrious awards including ‘Best m-Government service’ award at the 6th World Government Summit held at Dubai, UAE (United Arab Emirates) in Feb 2018.
• The aim to develop UMANG has been to facilitate ease of access to major Government services for citizens from a single mobile app.
• UMANG has reached a level of more than 3.12 Crore downloads, with 2.05 Crore registered users
• Presently 1,011 services (294 from Central, 441 from State departments, 276 from Bill payments), from 70 Central departments, 71 State departments from 26 States are available on UMANG.
Recent Related News:
On 27th July 2020, in the event of 14th Foundation day of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Earth Sciences launched the mobile app “Mausam” designed and developed by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)’s Digital Agriculture & Youth (DAY) team, the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
About Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY):
?Union Minister– Ravi Shankar Prasad
Minister of State (MoS)– Sanjay Dhotre
About National e-Governance Division (NeGD):
?President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO)– Abhishek Singh
Headquarter– New Delhi